Dewey Chaffee and Screw you Revue

(UPDATE: 6/1/08: Mr Chaffee's myspace profile and his show's profile have been deleted from Myspace)

In 2007, Dewey Chaffee created a successful live half-improv, half-scripted comedy show called "The Screw You Revue" for the Orlando Fringe Festival. It was an immediate hit, selling out several shows and being courted by local theaters for post-festival runs.

I awarded Mr Chaffee a special award for marketing on behalf of the Orlando Fringe Festival for his amazing online and offline marketing efforts. Not only did he have a good product, he knew how to sell it. And being the Fringe Social Network Marketing Manager at the time, I wanted to reward him.

The show had a brief stint on I-Drive in a club called "Glo," in early 2008, attempting to tap the tourist market, but that fizzled for unknown reasons.

The show returned to the 2008 Orlando Fringe and I am 99% sure it sold out almost every single of it's seven performances. To put this into perspective, his venue held over 100 people. He had seven performances, charging $10 a person. Reviews from the Sentinel were glowing. The show was a critical and financial success.

As patrons walked into the show, they were handed not programs, but postcards. One one side, an ad for the show they were seeing. On the reverse, an ad for a second I-Drive attempt, this time taking place at Sleuth's. Another I-Drive attempt. The show sure seemed to be going places.

Things were definitely heading in an up direction for Mr Chaffee. Perhaps he'd turn into another Oops Guys or Toxic Audio success. These two groups started at Orlando Fringe then went on to various types of national success on the Fringe circuit, in corporate work and even Off-Broadway.

And then something happened.

On May 30, 2008, Mr Chaffee left a cryptic, emotionally charged blog post on his character's mysace blog. He was not in character, not being funny and not promoting his many projects:
I'm The Bad Guy
I have played many roles since becoming a performer. I have enjoyed each and every one of them. It seems that my newest role is as "The Bad Guy." I didn't audition for it. I didn't read for it. I didn't even want the role. However, nonetheless, I have been cast in it. Funny thing is, I am enjoying this role, too! Ever since starting my own company, some folks have not liked how I choose to run it. Some folks have had a big problem with being held accountable with certain aspects of show business, such as arriving on time, living up to their commitments and supporting the company that they are working for while accepting the paychecks. Some folks think that it is okay to say that they are on board with you but tell everyone else differently when you are not in the room. Some folks believe that it is okay to call other performers and question them about the details of their contracts instead of speaking directly with the person who drew it up for them. Some folks wonder why I refuse to work with them any longer. So, in their wonderment, some folks say, "He's an asshole" and choose play the martyr role instead. I'll gladly play the role of "The Bad Guy." If being focused, committed to honesty in the workplace and having high expectations of those I choose to surround myself with means that I am "The Bad Guy," sign me up for life. Watch me fly, "Some Folks." Sorry you chose to clip your wings.
What happened? Who is/are "some folks?"

On May 31, 2008, a local actor who goes by the MySpace screen name "Comedic Actor" responded to Mr Chaffe's blog post and thinking Mr Chaffee might not allow the comment to be seen on his blog, "Comedic Actor" posted it on his own blog, providing a little more insight:
This is my response to Dewey Chaffee's blog in which he tries to defend his actions for something he just did. I only post this because I fear that he will not post my comment and I think everyone deserves to read it. For those of you that don't know the situation, this will make no sense. But for the ones that do know, enjoy.

I completely agree with you. You are the pinnacle of professionalism. Only a true professional would fire an employee at your mutual place of business...in the middle of the day....when only you got to go home 1 set later and she still had sets to do at Disney.

AND..Only a true professional would bring personal issues into said firing. That was a great move.

But the best display of true professionalism is writing this "look how professional I am" blog airing your "business" all over the Myspace world. Masterful!!!!

I can only aspire to your command of show business expertise. Maybe one day I can cancel a show cause I had no one buy any tickets.

Karma is a BITCH!!!

I know you won't post this but I had to say it. You messed up hugely and you're going to be the one that has ruined your reputation not her. It doesn't matter why you fire someone. It's no one's business. It's HOW you fire someone that counts. I've lost every bit of respect for you. That saddens me. Not that it matters. I know I'm not even a blip on the Dewey Chaffee radar. Good luck.
The show's former pianist for The Screw You Revue commented on "Comedic Actor"'s blog post by saying:
Thank you thank you thank you!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Mr Chaffee responded:
I put the blog out there and therefore I am prepared for the responses. They are expected and they are welcomed. I am fully aware that I am extremely unpopular with many folks right now and I am also aware that I have been unpopular with some folks even before this situation occurred. And that's okay, too. Being popular has never been my focus. 

My job now is to let you know that I heard your response and I thank you for it.
What's going on with Dewey Chaffee and The Screw You Revue and will it derail it's current (and possible future) success?