Phantom of the Opera's Raoul: Greg Mills

The National Tour of The Phantom of the Opera is playing a long October sit-down October 30 - November 22 in Tampa, Florida and features an old college classmate of mine (and Melbourne, FL native) in the lead role of "Raoul," Greg Mills. I had the chance to do an email interview with him about the tour, his role and the show.

You play Raul in this tour. What's it like to perform the role?
It is a dream come true to play Raoul. "Phantom" was the first musical I ever heard, and the first I saw on Broadway. Raoul is a great role to play. It's romantic, heroic and passionate. I really enjoy the part because, at the end of the night, I feel like I have really been through a journey and finished off the arch of my character. I am also lucky enough to understudy the Phantom. It is a nice change to go on occasionally and explore my darker more sinister side. And it is also such a pleasure to perform with so many other wonderful actors.

What was the audition process like?
I auditioned in New York originally for an ensemble position and understudy for Raoul. That was the track I performed for the first 6 or 7 months on tour. Then I was promoted to Raoul. I've been Raoul now for a year and a half. For the audition I had to sing a song of my own (Evermore Without You- from "The Woman in White") then I sang a cut of All I Ask of You from "Phantom" and then read a scene with the casting director. About a week later I got the call.

What's it like to be performing in your old stomping ground of Florida? Has Gayle seen it yet? (Gayle Seaton is one of the heads of the Musical Theatre Department at Florida State University.)
I'm so excited to be coming to Florida! This will actually be my last stop on tour after 2 years and 2 months. Finishing at home, then I can spend the holidays with family. I'm very excited to see friends and family at the show. Hoping that Gayle and Kate can come and catch it! They haven't seen it yet, so we'll see.

Can you tell us about the costumes in Phantom?
The costumes for the show are the most amazing things. The money and care put into them is amazing! Some are brand new and some are 20 years old. For me, I basically have one look. Classic black tux, overcoat, top hat etc. The Masquerade costumes are probably the most spectacular. All sorts of fantasy costumes, and especially the Phantom's "red death" outfit. The only costume issues I have ever had is every once in a while my long, white scarf will wrap around a button or snap on Christine. Or Christine's hair will get caught in my Masquerade suit and we wind up stuck to each other. I've had to pop a few buttons off to get us unhook.

What is tour life like for you? Enjoying the road? Seeing cities?
Tour life is great. You see so much of the country and go to places you may never get to otherwise. The hardest part is being away from my wife. She's in New York. We try to see each other every 4 weeks or so, but it's still tough. But your cast is your family. I'm sure you had that experience too. You work together, room together, do dinner, drinks, road trips whatever together. You really are family.

What's been your fave city or what city are you most looking forward to?
I've had several favorite cities I guess. Where I am at now is hard to beat. Seattle. Just awesome. Loved Philly! Portland and Chicago also on the top of my list. And I can't wait for Tampa, having grown up just across the state in Merritt Island.

So when are you coming to Orlando for a solo show? Greg Mills! One night only!
My one man show, huh? Well, I would love to come to Orlando for that! Maybe down at the Lake Eola Amphitheater? Or I could do The House of Blues, whichever. I think even better though, "A Night With Mark and Greg" a musical review. Sound good? I'm sure we could find some of our favorite old duets.