If you're on the wait list, don't wait til 2009

The 2009 Orlando Fringe has an extremely long waiting list. I know for a fact that some of these shows will be going into the festival. However, probably (and I say probably as I do not know for sure) most will not. So what do they do? A reader has the answer:
"It is my sincere hope, that for all the local groups on this 2009 Wait-list, they don’t shy away from producing outside of the Orlando Fringe (and at other culturally stagnant times of the year). Sure, there’s a lot more work involved; but this town doesn’t deserve to be denied the creative expression. Indy and alt-performance is vital to our emerging arts scene. So please, local companies on the Wait-list, don’t use your Wait-list status as an easy excuse to wait until the 2010 Orlando Fringe!"
The above paragraph was left as a comment on a previous post. I think it brings up a long-time-coming discussion: with so many performing arts groups in town, why do they all mostly wait for Fringe to roll around to exhibit their creativity? It seems that there is a need for a venue to serve these artists. And I don't mean renting out the Shakespeare's spaces for thousands of dollars.