Katie Ball at Orlando Fringe: Cyclosa Confusa, Varietease, Ironhead

By Katie Ball
May 22, 2010
Special to TheDailyCity.com
Orlando Fringe 2010


(Saturday May 22, 2010) was much more the turnout I'd been hoping for and the energy last night was spectacular, with performers promoting their shows, pockets of people staking out quiet spots to talk, the poetry smackdown representing as a bona fide EVENT, kites flying, show-goers shouting out greetings from one line to the next. And then Pepe's after party at the Peacock was OFF THE RAILS.

I rode my bike over and arrived to the tune of Spiderman thanks to the Outer Tunes throwing it out on stage. Made it in to see Cyclosa Confusa first. The program blurb doesn't say much but when I heard that it was Andrew from Cody Rivers I was instantly psyched. Like Cody Rivers I can't really explain this one and I flat-out refuse to give any bits away, but I will say that I enjoyed the show quite a bit and, though based on a pretty simple premise, it's one that will stay with me. First Fringe Crush: Cyclosa, though I apologize in advance for trying to call it 'Colostomy Something-or-other'. I blame the beer tent.

Next up I saw VarieTEASE. My personal experience is that every other year I'm blown away, with last year's show knocking my socks off. It doesn't remotely pay to try and make sense of the disparate happenings on stage - what's required is an openness and willingness to just experience the thing. I over thought it this year. I actually asked myself why there were dancers dressed like puppies, instead of just appreciating the talent on parade. With that said, there were a number of highlights including live singing (Yay VarieTEASE!!), a cameo by Pepe - which somehow transported me back to childhood watching Sesame Street - and beautiful ringleader Blue, who is always such a joy to watch. As per usual VarieTEASE included a few familiar performers and also brought in some new heavy hitters that singlehandedly made gravity their bitch. When the sister duo took the stage we sounded like we were all watching fireworks – and we were. There were some funny numbers, a few more somber performances, and a poignant finale that offered a level of depth that I hope to see keep coming around. Yeah, that last number really got me. So as you can probably discern the show was well worth the price of admission, and my new buddy Devin said she liked this year's better than last, so that will show how subjective it all is.

But more importantly, and though I've only just now really understood it, VarieTEASE is fighting the good fight. Because the broad spectrum of spectators (many of whom would never be caught dead at the Parliament House) will, if only for an hour, let themselves be entertained by numbers that include bondage gear, a saucy Shirley Bassey drag queen, a big monster blunt, and more - and THEY WILL LIKE IT. Not because they think they're living on the edge, or “being tolerant”, but because it's good stuff.

Years back I never would have thought I'd be saying that VarieTEASE has something for everyone, but it is what it is - and it matters way more than a surface look reveals. Kind of like John Waters' Hairspray where “finally the fat girl and the drag queen will get the starring parts” - through dance, VarieTEASE asks audiences to take baby steps toward offering something that's too long in coming – Respect.

We aren't remotely there yet, but it's a pretty fine start.

The grand finale for the evening was Ironhead: Quest for the Ring of the Dark Evil Lord of Evil Darkness. This show is one of those have a few cocktails and take a big group shows because it's so damned funny you'll want someone to share it with. Total disclosure: I'm friends with a number of the cast and crew. That said I'm tougher on my buds and I'm relieved to say that “Ironhead” is awesome. Don't let the Dungeons and Dragons foundation scare you off because I brought friends from two camps: Jim, who was all in-the-know and Michelle, who had no background at all - and we were all laughing our butts off. You look up “Camp” in the dictionary and they've probably already changed it to say See Ironhead, which offers a fair bit of leeway when the occasional prop goes awry or an accent waivers from British to Irish, but “Ironhead” doesn't require the training wheels because the story is clever, the blocking inspired and the solid cast looks to be having a freaking great time. Plus, when one look or a raised wand brings roars and applause? When one scene includes a catnip-induced orgy that may very well scar you for life? Kinda makes me think “Ironhead” is spelling Audience Choice Award.

Best quote of the day was when I saw these large men in drag, wearing kabuki makeup and fetish heels, handing out flyers. When finished, the main dude looked back to the others and in a deep voice said "Looks like we're all out, Girls."

I love the Fringe.