Your Feedback: How could the TheDailyCity.com Audience Choice Awards be better next year?

2010 TheDailyCity.com Audience Choice Awards

On the ballot for the Audience Choice Awards was the question "How could the TheDailyCity.com Audience Choice Awards be better next year?" We got some great feedback and want to share it with you now.

First, based on this feedback and our own observations, here are the major changes we plan to make in 2011 (so far):
1. Drop down menus for each category. So for example, if the category is "Favorite Show in the Yellow venue," instead of users having to type in the title of the show (and possible having to go to the printed program to remember what was in the venue), we provide a drop down menu listing each show that played in the venue. Then the user simply choses from the menu.

2. In some form, we will allow audience members to vote at the festival, either with a laptop we provide or paper ballots or something.

3. Add "Best Director"

4. More presence/awareness of the awards

5. Possibly decrease the number of awards

6. Shorten our award ceremony

Below is the feedback we got on the ballot with my feedback beneath the ones I wanted to respond to.

Perhaps adding a Best Drama category would be beneficial
Makes sense since we have "Best Comedy"

I liked the set up at Fringe. The table was fun to look at - all the different artists, etc. However, it was not always easy to figure out exactly what I was looking at and if I was supposed to select the artist from what I saw on the table. Or if my selection was to be from their actual performance or their pieces throughout the Fringe. Maybe it was just me, but I found that confusing. In one case, there was a CD or DVD case and I wasn't sure what the artist actually was presenting. And I like that person and her work, so I am not sure how I was suppose to either vote for her or her work since I never saw anything she did on the walls, etc... Not sure where she performed, etc. (Jessica Earley) -- Saw work by Bonnie Sprung but already knew she had pieces hung up in the Patron's Room for sale. So, the table brought the awards to my attention but didn't tell me where to find the artist or their work???
I agree the table did look lovely, but appeared as if it were an extension of the Visual Fringe. My signage didn't do the job of explaining the who/what/why well at all.

A list of the contendors in each category would be helpful. Especially for published vs. original pieces of work.
Done for 2011.

They seem pretty good to me! Good job!

Maybe add a Best Drama category?

Add "Favorite Volunteer"?
Thats more of a Fabby than an ACA

Paper ballots at the Fringe
I do think a way to vote at the festival would be helpful, but I'd want to have it digital: laptop or something. That way the votes feed directly into the online voting and its all in one pot as opposed to having to do two counts: one for paper ballots and one for the online voting.

List the nominees in each category for click selection (this would alleviate confusion, e.g. published musical/original musical).

Give me time to see the Sunday shows!
I'd love to extend the voting later, and in 2011, we will. But behind the scenes, there's about 4 hours of prep we must do from the time voting ends till the awards show. So, the cut off time can't be too late.

Best national show and best international show (to counter instinctive hometown prejudice)
Find a way to hold off the balloting cut-off until midnight Sunday so we get the chance to see more before having to vote.
I LOVE the idea of bringing attention to the nat/int folks.

For the published and unpublished plays and musicals, maybe a list of qualifiers? I don't know that the average person knows what's already published and what's not.
Thats a shame that people might not know if the show they're seeing is published or not. I think with the drop down menus instituted, we'll fix that problem.

Musical number
We have best original musical and best published musical

better publicity on these awards - not in the program - I finally had to write down the web address and then wind thru the site to finally arrive here...............
In order for notice of the awards to appear in the program, at this point, I'd have to buy an ad. That costs money. Maybe in 2011 a half-pager.

Not be in this tiny frame on a website, and have the whole page to itself.
Its got to live on this blog. Sorry.

Having information at purchase points for Fringe Buttons and having volunteer staff being more aware/knowledgeable about it so it can be explained to festival attendees. Having website addresses available at each venue captain's booth so they can have information readily available. Including information to be sent to local media outlets as talking points when discussing Fringe and Fringe activities.
These are awesome ideas. I can present them to Fringe and see what they will allow me to do.

The display is well done, signs are great, love that the awards are by local artists. Bravo!

Tried to say hi a few times got snubbed!
Speak louder.

A Ballot Box on site instead of online only.

-Drop down menus to make voting easier

- alter categories to better fit the year. (There really weren't any "sketch shows" and I think only 1 improv show I think)
Good point.

Ability to vote @ the fringe

Voting on site at the Fringe

have humorous awards?!
Thats for The Fabbys

Being able to vote at a booth/computer on site.

Inclue a best in show award for the art.
Fabbys does Visual Fringe awards

Good Job, Mark. I loved that you posted the reviews.
Thank you. You can see those reviews they're talking about at

Add a category for Worst Show!, like the Razzies before the Oscars!! You have to recognise that some shows do stink and there needs to be a medium to tell the artists that so that they can improve. The reviews do not necessarily speak for the audience.
I am not interested in that whatsoever.

Multiple Choice boxes to pick from so I don't have to look up spellings, names Genres in the program.

How about an award for directing?
Good idea

More exposure
We were grateful with what we were given by Fringe: our table in Orlando Shakes. Please give us ideas for next year.

Fewer catagories
I kind of agree with this one. 29 is a lot, especially to go through during a live ceremony.

The could have a list of each contestant

Best Drama category

Have a list, don't make me type all of this in! =)

Ideally, a link near each question that opens a pop-up window listing options. For example, for the "What's the best show in the Blue Venue?" A list of shows in that venue

For some of the categories, identify previously published musicals and plays. The musicals this year I know about, but I'm not certain of straight up plays per se.

Include Best Director. (Repeat suggestion.)

A photo or video section of shows to remind people of what's out there.

have a listing of the shows in each venue

More tech awards e.e: lighting, sound
This is great idea

I think you did a great job!

Sell water in the lobby.
Not my job

There is no way they can be better.

have Nominees listed

maybe have nominations so it's a stronger voting force...not sure who has best published play so if you nominated it will help me..maybe

Make it possible to vote at a central location at the Fringe Festival as well.

The awards were awesome this year, very creative.

Dont require us to be spammed by you to fill this out. Forcing us to opt in is SHIT!
I emailed this person directly and addressed this concern. You are asked to opt-in to a newsletter in order to vote. I do however say on the ballot that as soon as you get your very first newsletter, you can unsubscribe. I think thats fair.

have a list of all the shows

They're great!

This is a little thing. Can you sell soft drinks when you sell wine?