Panera Bread Charges Fee For Non To-Go Orders


By Mark Baratelli, Editor
June 21, 2010

File this under odd and possibly suspect, in my opinion. I ordered a "Pumpkin Muffie" at the Panera Bread on Michigcan Avenue (a) because it looked good and not as huge as the rest of the store's diabetes-causing fare and (b) because the price was ninety-nine cents. Small snack, small price. Nice job Panera.

I order my muffie. The employee asks me if I want it to-go or for-here, per usual. I say for here. She then says she'll put it in a bag and ring it up as to-go because thats cheaper than getting it for-here. Huh? I look at the price on the register: $1.09. That seems right to me. (I'm not good with the maths). She re-rings it up and the price changes to 99 cents total. I ask her why its cheaper to get the muffie to-go and she says Panera calls the mini price hike an "in house tax." And for a muffie, that tax is ten cents. Panera charges ten cents extra on your muffie if you choose to eat it in their store. Did you know this?

I'll make the assumption that this "tax" is just a surcharge that helps them maintain their seating, tables, chairs and free wifi (which I used to write this post). The charging of the fee is their right and I'm not judging that. Businesses can charge what they want for their products. But in my opinion, the question should be asked, "Shouldn't the customer be told of the price change before the purchase?" I've been going to Panera for years and never knew I was being charged a fee to eat in their store. Did you?