Orlando Museum of Art

By: Jen Thuy-Tien

Contributing writer

I would not consider myself an art museum aficionado but I very much enjoyed my visit to the Orlando Museum of Art (OMA). At OMA, I saw artworks belonging to artists I read about in humanities and history books. My eyes wandered over works painted by various members of the famous Peale family who are known to be the First Family of American Art. There was a variety of art at OMA, ranging from early American and American Impressionism paintings, contemporary American art, African textiles to ancient artifacts belonging to various tribes such as the Aztecs and the Zapotecs. The works are all unique and I found most of them, very mysterious. Here are two of my favorites.

Rembrandt Peale, Portrait of Three Children, 1809, oil on canvas,27 1/4 in. x 24 1/4 in. On long-term loan from the Martin Andersen-Gracia Andersen Foundation, Inc.

The eyes of the children in Portrait of Three Children by Rembrandt Peale still captivate me.


Chuck Close ,Leslie/ Fingerprint, 1986, etching on paper,54 in. x 41 in. Gift of Council of 101

Leslie/Fingerprint by Chuck Close impresses me because it was made with fingerprints.


Information about OMA:

Orlando Museum of Art is located at 2416 North Mills Avenue in Orlando, Florida.

For more information on admission costs and gallery hours call (407) 896–4231 or visit OMA’s website, http://www.omart.org.


Upcoming exhibition:

From August 13 to October 31, 2010, OMA presents Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey. The exhibition pays tribute to the late Mr. Gorey, who was an artist and author. He published more than 100 books and illustrated for many authors such as Samuel Beckett, Charles Dickens, T.S. Eliot and Virginia Woolf. Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey will feature original artwork, sketches and unpublished pieces by Gorey.