Album Review: Emarosa

By: Jen Thuy-Tien
Contributing Writer
Staff Page


Alternative rock band Emarosa graced Orlando with their presence when the Vans Warped Tour stopped in town this summer. Hailing from Lexington, Kentucky, Emarosa comprises of lead vocalist Jonny Craig, guitarists ER White and Jonas Ladekjaer, keyboardist Jordan Stewart, bass player Will Sowers and drummer Lukas Koszewski. Emarosa first made it on the scene in 2006 under its original name Corsets Are Cages in 2006. The band’s previous albums have been well received. This past June, Emarosa released its self-titled album.


I have been listening to the album almost nonstop for the last couple of weeks. As corny as it may sound, the new album has made me a huge fan of Emarosa. I like to listen to the album at night, although it may not be the ideal time for everyone else. It’s just that Jonny’s voice calms me and a majority of the songs have soft-flowing melodies. I also appreciate the emotional content of the songs and the instrument-playing of drummer Lukas, guitarists ER and Jonas, keyboardist Jordan and bassist Will.


It’s difficult to pick my favorite songs from Emarosa, but I will do my best.The first track on the album is “A Toast To The Future Kids,” which I can listen on repeat for hours. The song starts gentle and soft, becomes upbeat and then more hard-core. The lyrics are relatable and tug at my heartstrings. The song is about having faith, not giving up and claiming your future. “Pretend.Relive.Regret.” is the album’s second track. I like the track because it showcases Jonny’s crisp vocals and features great drumming. The song is about an unhealthy relationship, wasting time in that relationship and not leaving when you should even though you try so hard to. The album’s sixth track, “The Game Played Right,” is another song I thoroughly enjoy because of its catchy beats. The song is about “the game” of talking to a girl in order to take her home. One of the song’s lyrics is “And we all know what comes after.” “We Are Life” is the last track on the album, and it is my ultimate favorite. The song is about heartbreak, leaving somebody who is making the relationship unhealthy and no longer being a fool. The lyrics embody a range of emotions: anger, sadness and confidence. A sample of the lyrics is “Speak what we feel, and not what we ought to say. Well, I'm forever young and you're forever you.” Jonny’s voice is great in this song, not to mention, it is backed by powerful instrument-playing.


Emarosa is a great album that I would suggest for everyone to purchase. If you have not listened to the band Emarosa, you definitely should. The band has a lead singer with a unique and great voice, wonderful instrumentalists and catchy songs with heartfelt lyrics.

For more information on Emarosa visit:

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/emarosa