Author Signing: Bobby Bowden

By Lauren Gibaldi
Contributing Writer
Staff Page

If you’ve ever enrolled at a football-loving university, you know how chaotic game day is. Drinking starts as early as possible; the more spirited you’re dressed, the better.

Upon moving to Tallahassee to attend FSU back in 2001, I quickly got used to the atmosphere. And despite the fact that I didn’t especially enjoy football, I enjoyed the feeling of the day – the sense of unity formed on game-day was special, in its own way.

My senior year, I helped host a school-sponsored game-day event. I was standing inside a garnet and gold clad room, greeting those who entered, when none other than FSU football coach Bobby Bowden approached me. Of course I recognized him, who wouldn’t? He walked in and graciously shook my hand. Not knowing want to do, I smiled stupidly and said the first thing that came to my mind.

“You’re a good coach.”

Yep, I was a winner.

I suppose I have a chance to make up for my ridiculous line, because Bowden will be visiting the Winter Park Borders Friday, August, 27 at 7pm. He’ll be unveiling details about moments and events that have shaped his life, as well as discussing his new book, Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith, and Football, and signing autographs. Although no longer the coach, it’s still a neat opportunity to hear him relate stories of his days with the Noles in an intimate environment.