Adventures in Wedding Planning | Week Three

By Lauren Gibaldi
Contributing writer
Staff page


This week I learned a lot:
  • It's really hard to please both parents; compromises have to be made
  • The assumption is true - grooms couldn't care less about flowers/seating/dresses/etc (but they DO get excited for food tastings) 
  • It's possible to get discounts (and awesome when it happens)
  • The Knot message board is ridiculous
  • Related, FH = future husband. I had to Google it. 
  • This site is pretty funny
After much deliberation, we finally chose our venue. After reading your comments, we looked into The Summerlin House, which was lovely, as well as Dubsdread, which was historic and perfectly vintage. However, we ended up deciding on...the Orlando Science Center! It was actually the first place we visited and instantly fell in love with. It's quirky, fun and fantastic (like us?). We weren't sure at first due to price, but they worked hard with us and we ended up getting an amazing package. We love our coordinator there, and are ridiculously excited. 

I also got my wedding dress! I honestly wasn't expecting to so soon, but I (of course) fell in love. It's from Demetrios in Altamonte Spring, and it's perfect. That's all I'll say on that. 

This past Sunday, my mom took me to the Perfect Wedding Guide Bridal Show. (Fun fact: There are free tickets at David's Bridal, so it's totally worth going). We made a ton of contacts, and I tried a lot of food. Seriously. If you don't want to go for the vendors, go for the food. I was full by the time we left. 

While there, I met up with Maralyn of Sweet Marayln's Chocolates. If you haven't seen her work, please do (and I'm not just saying this because she's one of my best friend's mom). She's been making chocolate forever, and just a few years ago opened up her shop. Her products are amazingly delicious, and absolutely beautiful. I'm quite certain she can do anything which chocolate. 

A few nights ago, Samir and I also decided on a DJ. Originally, we were going the iPod route because it'll save a lot of money (and, as you may have noticed from his blog posts, Samir loves music, this this would have been a good way to ensure we played the music we like). But my mom was insistent we get a DJ, so we met with a high school friend of mine, Dan from White Rose Entertainment. The company DJed most of my friends' weddings here in Orlando, so we already knew they were good. We were really excited with how personal they were. We get to make a list of songs we definitely want played, and songs that should not be played no matter what. We choose the genres, and they ensure we get what we want. They also make sure everything is going smoothly, time wise. We're really, really happy with this decision. 

And - that's it. I haven't had a chance to contact photographers yet, but I'll work on it this week (definitely looking into all of the ones you all recommended). Other than that, caterers are next on our list, as well as Save the Dates and eventually florists. I feel like once I get those out of the way, i'll be able to relax. But, honestly - does the bride-to-be ever have a chance to do that? (Please say yes). 

Previous posts: Intro, Weeks 1/2