Sonesta Hotel Starbucks: Cheaper

September 27, 2010
By Mark Baratelli
Editor


If you live or work downtown, this might be of use to you.

On Sunday, when a friend told me he was attending a free creativity drop-in workshop held in one of the ballrooms at the Sonesta Hotel, I invited myself. The workshop ended up being a "get out of your comfort zone" type thing. I got to hear an opera singer sing "Summertime" with what I assume are the original lyrics, page through participant's life books (photo albums showing the person's life with a page dedicated to each year of their life) and admit to a group of six that one thing I do not do in groups is listen well.

When the group hugs, dancing in kicklines and singing the national anthem began, I snuck out. Before exiting the building, I stopped by the Starbucks in the lobby and got served by the owner. I noticed the price of the pre-packaged box I was buying with bagel, cream cheese, hard boiled egg, grapes and apple slices was way cheaper than I am used to seeing. He informed me all of his prices are lower than normal Starbucks prices. This seemed unusual to me, since he's located in what looked to be a high end hotel. But, he says, he wants to bring in the locals who work across the street and in the neighborhood. So, lower prices.

Good to know if you're a downtown Starbucks drinker/eater.