This Week In Gigs

By Samir Mathur
Contributing writer
Staff page | Twitter | Tumblr

How's this for a novelty: This column is actually going up on a Monday as it's supposed to! As ever, if there's something else going on that you're excited about, why not mention it in the comments?

Monday - January 31st

Yonder Mountain String Band at the Social

There might be some eclectic dancing on the floor, and some of the wackier kinds of tobacco in the air, as the legends of bluegrass-inspired rock and roll take the Social stage. This show is billed as "An Evening With..." which to me suggests that it'll be more memorable than just a regular show. Either way, it'll be jam-tastic.



Thursday - February 3rd

Smith Westerns at Backbooth

This year is only a month old, but one of the most-buzzed-about records it has birthed is 'Dye It Blonde,' the second long-player from Chicago's Smith Westerns. I really like the album a whole lot, but the AV Club's reviewer put it much better than I possibly could: "Sounding like the Bay City Rollers as produced by George Harrison, Dye It Blonde blows kisses at all the little girls, promising dreams fulfilled and nights danced away on clouds of billowy pianos, shiny guitars, and breathy vocals." It's my birthday on Thursday (please, cash gifts only), so I'm thinking of going to see them as a treat to myself. You should do the same thing.



Penn and Teller at Hard Rock Live

Not sure what to expect from these guys in concert. Probably some outrage, some yelling and some magic? Here's an interview Penn (obviously) with the Sentinel where he talks about the show and what they've got in store.

Friday - February 4th

Jimmy Eat World / David Bazan at House of Blues


My colleague Jen already previewed this one, so read what she had to say. And, here's what I wrote about David Bazan when he swung by this way a few months ago.



Saturday - February 5th

Tigerweather / Cure for Caska at Backbooth

I'll be honest: I don't know anything about either of these two bands, but it's a free show at one of downtown's best venues, so give it a look. Tigerweather are a bunch of local guys, and I couldn't see whether Cure for Caska are from Orlando too, but their homepage features a close-up of a cello, which is my favourite musical instrument, so I'm sure they're legit.