LOS CAMPESINOS! at The Social

By Samir Mathur, Contributing writer
Staff page | Twitter | Tumblr




LOS CAMPESINOS! and Yellow Ostrich play at the Social this Friday (6/29). Info and tickets

I'll get to the point. Los Campesinos! are probably my favourite band currently doing the business. I've been on board since I first heard their song 'You! Me! Dancing!' six years ago and fell in love with their blistering debut album 'Hold On Now, Youngster'. Back then, there was just something about them. If they had been around when I was 17, I'd have tattooed their name across my chest and sworn fealty to them. Unfortunately, I was in my mid-20s when they showed up, so all I could do was walk around my college campus on hot days and sing along to 'Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks' at the top of my lungs and not care what anyone else thought.

Their subsequent albums have shown the band maturing without losing its sense of fun and noisiness. The most recent record, last year's 'Hello Sadness' may be their best yet. Certainly, the title track is an instant classic in my Big Book of Instant Classics, even if the video (see above) frightens me to my core. They don't come to Florida very often, and so it's a big deal. A few years ago, they came to Tallahassee with Titus Andronicus, but I was sicker than I'd been in years, so I couldn't make the drive up. I'm remarkably excited about seeing them this time around, though. They make a lot of noise, but there's an ever-increasing feel of both vulnerability and understanding to their music, and I'm happy to have grown with them. It's hard to believe that the band that screamed about Tony Cascarino and Livejournal is now making songs as profound as 'The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future' or 'To Tundra'.

Get there early, too, to catch Yellow Ostrich, a Brooklyn-based indie band whose newest record 'Strange Land' is pretty ace.






7-3-11-facebook 7-3-11-twitter 7-3-11-RSS