A Week of Middle School Lunches in Photos

We're so focused on new gourmet burger shops, pastry boutiques and mobile chefs that we're ignoring one of the most popular places in Orlando to get lunch: the middle school. 

We're fixing that. 

We've got an embedded middle schooler sending us photos of what he is served by his cafeteria each day. He is responsible for the photos and reviews, we're responsible for sharing them. 
"Middle school lunch is boring repetition. There's nothing you can do about it...you could bring a lunchbox, and I advise you to do so. I don't bring one I enjoy staying in the cycle of things, I'm not one to change a routine, I don't like change. Plus, I don't really like the lunchbox look. Not my style."
And let's be clear: we are not hating on middle school cafeterias. This is not our goal. We just thought it would be fun to show readers what one unnamed middle school serves in one week. 

MONDAY: Pepperoni pizza, cinnamon apple slices and a small water bottle (baby sized version) One doughy triangle lathered in grease. This is a lucky day for a meal in middle school. The mini water bottle is screaming future dehydration, but it'll do. The apples covered with a pinch of cinnamon are tolerable. This is a thumbs up meal.



TUESDAY: A crispy chicken sandwich, bagged apples, and baby water: 
This meal is quite the illusion, you look at the top bun of the sandwich and it glistens with what you might think is butter smeared on for your current delight, its actually just the condensation from the moisture inside the silver bag it's defrosted in after they microwave it and put it over boiling water to keep warm. They sit there screaming for the students to reluctantly eat them.

That's just the top half, the bottom half is a wreck. The bottom is hard as cardboard. The bag of processed apples are great, just pray that it's their latest shipment of bagged apples because if not, they're the color of beige/brown, and smell fermented. I've never tried it. Baby water is still too small.


WEDNESDAY: veggie burger, salad, and milk: My first time having the veggie burger and as you can see, the glistening "buttery" bun I was talking about. It had a zing to it. A negative zing. It had corn and beans mixed in with phony meat, but who really knows whats inside these burgers. It tasted horrible and I sadly (gladly) couldn't finish it. 

"Dude, this tastes horrible" I say to my friend.

"Go and say the bun is moldy they'll get you what you want," was his reply.


And I sat there in shock wondering "How you can say that your bread is moldy?" How could that even be in the realm of possibilities?

The salad is pretty good when you have dressing to engulf it in, but I forgot my dressing that day, and I wasn't able to go and get one. I switched it up and got some milk. It was pretty good...the milk I mean. I set my bar pretty low for eating that day.



THURSDAY: Chili, rice, black beans, bagged apples and baby water: 
The chili was disgusting. Really, the cheese was connected together like a couple holding hands that are madly in love, it came off in one piece, under it was black beans and ground up meat. Very moist and hot, I burnt the tastebuds off on the front of my tongue. 

The black beans to the side weren't really an option more like a requirement. They tasted dull and bitter, like tasting medicine after a pill sits on your tongue for too long and the clear coat cover has melted and the sour powder disintegrates on your tongue, that's a mental taste for you. 

The rice had no flavor, kind of chewy, the only reason I eat the food is to satisfy the monster that becomes unleashed inside my stomach during class if it becomes empty. The apples were great, I don't care if they're processed after a meal like that, the bag of apples really soften the blow.

FRIDAY: Salad mixed with ground up meat, sour cream, taco sauce, tortilla chip crumbs, apples, baby water: This salad is pretty popular, not by taste but by process. After sitting at a desk for three hours, your brain is working really hard, and by lunch time, your brain is tired. So just to make this big mixture is easy and simple but there's a process to it and its definitely easier than algebra class. 

So to make this contraption it's exciting to other people. I look around and notice that what most excites them is making it, not eating it. When you do eat it, you better eat it quick because the salad loses freshness and the chip crumbs become soggy, of course the apples and the water.

TheDailyCity.com on Facebook TheDailyCity.com on Pinterest TheDailyCity.com on twitter TheDailyCity.com on Instagram