WMFE What's Hot in Central Florida Friday Segment Host is Mark Baratelli

By Mark Baratelli 
WMFE Radio Personality

I am very excited to finally share publicly that I'm taking over the "What's Hot in Central Florida" Friday event segment on the NPR affiliate radio station WMFE 90.7. The segment runs Fridays at 4:30pm. My first appearance is this Friday!

Big thank yous to WMFE's Liz Langley and Nicole Creston for recommending me. I am grateful for the opportunity and hope I can be of service to the listeners and add value to WMFE.

The point of the segment is to share neat events going on in Orlando. I am going to add some irreverence and humor with my delivery and choice of events. The way the segment is structured, I share what I think is neat about each event, and all the details about the event will be found on WMFE's website. This leaves more airtime in the segment to include more events. And I feel like if I am driving and hear a key word or phrase that peeks my interest and don't want to visit their website, I'll just google it myself. Maybe listeners will do the same. 

If you want me to consider your event for the segment, email me (mark@thedailycity.com) your info on on Tuesdays anytime before noon. If I like your event, I'll include it. 

Below is this week's script. 

(the segment introduction is read here by the daytime host)

Which towns’ Christmas parade has live camels, 3-D glasses, a 100 person choir, a Symphony Orchestra, Santa Claus and professional not using air quotes floats? The town of Viera! It’s about an hour outside of Orlando and takes place Saturday night at 5:30pm. Live camels people. INFO

A stage version of that stop animation Rankin/Bass classic Rudolph the red nosed reindeer with sound effects and characters straight from the film? Yes please! This Saturday at 2pm and 5:30pm at the Rep! INFO

Like your ho ho ho with a little “did he just say that?” Then catch local theatre impresario Michael Wanzie and former theatre legend (and yes I did say former) Tommy Wooten in what is sure to be the most offensive holiday offering this year: Trailer Trash Christmas. It’s Saturday night at 7:30pm at the Parliament House.

A real string puppet show with a real string puppet cast is what you’ll find during the performances of “The Little Drummer Boy” real string puppet show Saturday at 12:30, 2:45 and 5pm at Pinnochio’s Marrionette Theatre. INFO

And finally, nothing to do with the holidays, but do you ever wish you were in a public library watching a movie? Your dream has come true. There’s a random early morning showing of the classic film Vertigo with free coffee and free doughnuts Saturday at 10:30am at the Alafaya Library. Real string puppet show. INFO


(the segment outro is read here by the daytime host)