New Food Truck Rules Coming But Don't Freak Out

The very first food truck tasting tour "Taco Truck Taste Test" was conduced in 2010 on Semoran (INFO)

By Mark Baratelli
Publisher

(UPDATED 11:57AM 8/15/15) 

Note: This is an opinion piece.

Before I created the nation's original food truck tour, and before I ever did my first food truck event on March 31, 2011, which some say kicked off the gourmet food truck scene in Central Florida, there were the "OGs," the originals, on OBT and on Semoran. 

In 2010, I was leading food truck tours, the audience being made up of The Daily City readers to, these trucks, calling the monthly event "Taco Truck Taste Tests."  Once a month we'd gather, rain or shine, at these trucks on Semoran and OBT and try out new food, but more importantly, explore two of our city's business districts and our city's food truck culture.

And, I am happy to say these OG trucks are still there, offering up authentic Latin cuisine to foodies in the evenings. I see them once a month when I am driving home at 10pm at night after putting on our monthly food truck event in front of the Kissimmee Civic Center. 

But one person complained to Orange County about the noise at 4am keeping him awake, and according to the Orlando Sentinel, the County is working on new rules to be put into place. 

Rules are not a bad thing. While it's my opinion the trucks deserve to be present and offer up that authentic experience, which has been a part of the Central Florida food scene for years, if they're disturbing people from sleeping, that's not a good thing. So the County examining the situation could render a decision that is ok to both the food trucks and the people who live less than half a mile from the commercial property on which they reside. 

However, make no mistake: the trucks are doing nothing illegal. They did their due diligence. They're allowed to park on private property and allowed to sell into the wee hours of the morning. Could they turn down the music? Sure. Could they stop selling earlier? 

And then there's Gail Weafer. She did not do her due diligence when she organized 5 food truck events inside her neighborhood without asking the county permission to do so. When someone anonymously tipped them off about her actions, they shut her down. Now she, too, is complaining to Orange County that she deserves the right to put on these events. 

And I agree with her.

And I agree with the OBT and Semoran truck events.  

Bottom line, I support the OBT events and the private neighborhood events. I support all events that are similar to what I first brought to Central Florida in 2011. As I was quoted saying in the Orlando Sentinel article: 
"The vibe may look and feel a little different but at their core they're the same thing — a community gathering over food,"
In 2013, people freaked out about City of Orlando's new food truck rules. Online petitions were created, Facebook groups were started and LOTS of media was written. And in the end, what happened?

The rules affected close to ZERO trucks.

I lived through that and I am here to say this: do not freak out about Orange County's rules. Yes, I want the OBT an Semoran trucks to always be present and yes I want gail Weafer to have her neighborhood parties, but there has to guidelines, there has to be rules. 

Everyone has to come to the table and be willing to work together. And I think both sides would agree on that. 

So before you take any news story at face value, email me and ask me my thoughts. I can probably shed some levity on the story. 

Thanks.