Church Street, under I-4, is closing for 72 hours


(Press Release)

Extensive construction work on the Ultimate I-4 project is continuing in downtown Orlando as nightly closures of Church Street under Interstate 4 (I-4) are temporarily transitioning into a continuous closure.

The continuous closure of Church Street, under I-4 between Hughey Avenue and Garland Avenue, is scheduled for approximately 72 hours beginning at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday, November 1, and ending at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, November 4. Following the continuous closure, nightly closures of Church Street will continue from November 4-6 between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m.

During a three-week stint of nightly closures at Church Street between September and October, workers were able to remove portions of the previously closed I-4 entrance and exit ramps to South Street. The continuous closure will allow workers to safely remove the beams that supported the old roadway.

The detour for this closure is South Street for traffic approaching Church Street from the west side of I-4 and Central Boulevard for traffic approaching from the east side of I-4. During these closures, pedestrian access is also closed at Church Street under I-4. Pedestrians may cross under I-4 at Pine Street or South Street. For more information, log on to I4Ultimate.com/ChurchStreet.

Modifications or extensions to this schedule may become necessary due to weather delays or other unforeseen conditions. Motorists are advised to maintain a safe speed when driving through the work zone.

The I-4 Ultimate project is rebuilding 21 miles of Interstate 4 (I-4) from west of Kirkman Road in Orange County to east of State Road 434 in Seminole County, adding two new dynamic tolled Express Lanes in each direction, replacing more than 140 bridges, reconfiguring 15 major interchanges and reconstructing the entire roadway.

Celebrating 100 Years of Innovation, Mobility and Economic Development