Discovering Audubon Park Comunity Market


Audubon Park Community Market Flickr Set


I was talking my mid-morning walk through Audubon Park and saw a gathering at the Audubon Park Covenant Church.

It turned out to be the Audubon Park Community Market which happens from 9am-2pm every Saturday: "...local organic produce, healthy local food, vegan and vegetarian selections, green home materials and education, massage, fine art, sustainable and functional crafts, educational speakers, live local music, handmade clothes and kid's educational activities."

I met the owner of HealthyAlternativeChef.com who told me about how hard it was to find a place for her to sell her allergen-free baked goods. I tried a chocloate chip muffin: yum!

Then I met the owner of Seven Sisters CoffeeHouse, Alisha Kerns. Seven Sisters CoffeeHouse is a coffeehouse opening up on Mills in the near future. Seven Sisters Coffee provides coffee from sustainable, organic, fairly traded , and relationship coffee farms. Their house coffee comes from Selva Negra Coffee Estate in Matagalpa, Nicaragua. Selva Negra is a fully sustainable estate, from coffee production to the estate workers facilities.

I spoke with the station manager of WPRK about the station and "Life in Stages" radio show. She was selling and promoting local music with cds and stickers.

I also got to meet Emily, one of the organizers of The Audubon Park Main Street District Community Meeting coming up on June 2nd at Stardust. They want to make the area around Stardust less ugly using "The Main Street Approach."

It's awesome to see people in the community doing all this great stuff: producing markets, opening coffee stores, selling custom baked goods and promoting local music. This is what I want to feature more of on this blog.