Press release tips, part one

P1020595

I don't know much about press releases, let me this say upfront. However, after receiving them and rewriting them for a blog for the past year, I know what I can work with and what gets ignored, and why. So, to help those who want to get featured on this blog, here are a few tips.

1. If you send a pdf or word doc attached to your email, send the text that is within either document in the body of the email, ensuring I can copy/paste sections. If I can't copy/paste, I have to rewrite your press release.

2. Ideally, have your graphics uploaded to a website (photobucket, flickr) and just send me a url to the photos.

3. A press release without photos means either (a) I have a boring post on my blog or (b) I go find a photo elsewhere. Either way, it's more work on my part. Send me some photos (ideally, on a website as stated above)

4. Cut the length and just give me the raw details. I am gonna form my own opinion whether you think your event is fantastic or not. so save all the self-complimentary paragraphs and just say "It's a play about feet. John Smith is in it. You know John... the guy who was in the play about toes?"

5. If you're a band and all you give me is a date you're performing and some photos, what do I do with that? Give me something more: like a reason to write about you.

6. If you're sending me a press release about an art gallery show opening, um, can I have some pictures of the art?

That's it for now. I am sure more will come. I offer these tips so every press release I open, I want to post.

Thanks.