Men, women, who cares?



Mad Cow changed their season (without sending me a notice) replacing two plays with two different ones. The reasons are irrelevant. What is, is this comment left by Julia Gagne:
Mad Cow had been a strong candidate to win the Women Playwrights' Initiative traveling WOWW (Wave of Women Writers) award for 2009 because 50% of the plays in their new season were written by women. It is sad that circumstances required that they drop two of those, and that both replacements were written by men.
Who cares the gender of a playwright? I guess I should say, I don't. I don't care what gender, race, handicap or nationality a playwright has. If the play is good, the play is good. And this Women Playwrights' Initiative gives out an AWARD theatres that chooses plays written by women over men? That line of thinking is so far away from my brain. Why not give an award to theatres who choose plays written by blacks over whites? Blind over seeing? I mean, really?

Anyways, go read Maupin blog for the comments and leave one of your own.

Photo Credit