Julie Taymor: 40 mill for Spiderman the Musical

So it's gonna cost $40 million to put Spiderman, the musical, on Broadway and $1 million a week to run. Apparently, this might be the most expensive musical ever produced. And it might be coming as early as 2009!

I am personally fascinated by this project. Doesn't musicalizing Spiderman sound like something you'd see at Fringe? It's insane! And yet, here it is, happening, on Broadway.

I don't know anything about putting a show up on Broadway, but I will say this. I think $40 million is (a) chump change for a movie studio producer and (b) nothing compared to the profits they could end up making through their Broadway show, a possible Vegas show, tours, a 3-d high-def movie theatre version (like Rent just did)... they could Hannah Montanah this thing into infinity. Heck, why not buy the rights to film the show and sell the dvd in the lobby? Sell it as a download on itunes? Charge me $15 to stream it online live?

There are so many ways (now) for shows to make their money back. I am excited to see where this show goes. (And hopefully the tour will come through Orlando and not bypass us for Tampa.)

Photo Credit