Is the cupcake a trend?

P1350031
Cupcakes at Cupcake Delights in Downtown Mount Dora

Are cupcakes passe? I thought they were, but Saturday December 26, 2009, I went to Downtown Mount Dora and a cupcake shop called Cupcake Delights* there was SOLD OUT of their stock. There were six lonely (but cute) cupcakes sitting in the large glass case. And I'm like "Didn't we do this years ago?"

And then I thought back to my time in New York City where I spent the past three months: the chain "Crumbs" (where I had my teensy birthday in 2008) must now have 5 new locations. And cupcake blogs are everywhere (Did you see this gay as heck cupcake we mentioned on twitter?)

I thought they were a trend, but they seem to be sticking around like dogs in strollers. A few friends responded on Facebook to this topic. Please chime in yourself.
Thomas: Cupcakes are sooo 15 minutes ago.

Janessa: More like 5 years ago...

Robyn: No way...cupcakes are huge. they are taking over at weddings (i.e. 'cupcake wedding tier cake' as opposed to a full wedding cake you have to cut. it's already done. just take a cupcake and go)... :) very cute! we almost did that at our wedding...

Margaret: Mmmmm...cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker st....yummmmm...

Genevieve: I had a cupcake tree at our wedding last week! The diy wedding blogs say they are past their fame, but I still liked it and had a fabulous one!..we also had a grooms cake with cheubacca on it. =)

Kristina: it's passe in new york and la, but still hip elsewhere (seattle, orlando)...
*Read their review on Cupcakes That Take the Cake

Helpful Links:
Cupcake Bakeries on Twitter

P1240344
Cupcakes at Pom Poms in the Milk District