Rob Ward at Orlando Fringe: Meat on a Stick

By Rob Ward
Special to TheDailyCity.com


After losing half of my Fringe-time potential to a killer migrane, I expected Friday to just plain stink … boy was I wrong! After a little nap, and lot of Excedrin I was back on my feet and ready for some hard core Fringing. Miraculously I found a parking spot tucked way behind the Rep, ran across the Green Lawn and Fabulousness where I rain into Jessica Mariko again. she was hanging new signs for her Creative Mind Experiment show, and I dragged her along to the pink venue just in time to catch Janine Klein Gay Bar Star! As expected, the show was absolutely awesome! Packed house with a unique mix of people (Harriet Lake just two rows away from the VarieTEASE cast … nice!), fun music, John Ryan’s 6 or 7 wardrobe changes, Steve MacKinnon on keys, and of course Janine herself! Janine rocked it! She had the audience in the palm of her hand simultaneously cracking up at her over-the-top diva persona, and being wowed by her powerhouse singing voice. Janine deserved every second of the huge standing ovation she received.

Next it was back to the beer tent for more Katie Ball butt-slapping (yes, this has become our new tradition), different meats on a stick (I love the greek tent!), getting yelled at by George Wallace ("Thanks for saying I gave you Fringe secrets in your Facebook note!") and the company of dozens of my favorite theatre folks shooting the breeze and sweating on the charmingly crappy lawn furniture.

Before I knew it was time for my next show, The Bike Trip! I had met Martin Dockery a few days before, and thought he was a great guy to hang out with, so of course I’ll go see his show. I didn’t really know what to expect … but WOW! A 65 minute one man monologue is usually way too much for my A.D.D. brain to handle, but I swear I was transfixed from the first line to the last. What an incredible story teller Martin is! His charm and razor-sharp wit combined with the fascinating story he was telling made The Bike Trip my favorite Fringe show so far this year. Everyone should see it!

Then it was back out to the beer tent for more drinks and laughter. I saw my buddy Brendan O’Conner hanging out by the Ibex puppetry tent, so I made me over for a quick hug and greeting, and asked this slender friendly-looking lady, why she was making a bra? The lady looked up at me genuinely shocked, and said “Ohhhh….it DOES look like a bra, doesn’t it?” She put said bra on her head, and informed me, “These are Goblin ears!” (Naturally). I knew I had to have a set of bra-looking goblin ears of my own, so I asked the nice lady if she could help me make a set. She did, and in conversation I learned the nice lady was actually Heather Henson!!!! Whoa!

Who is so socially awkward that he insulted the goblin ears of the daughter of the man whose creations basically shaped my childhood? THIS GUY!

Come to find out, she knew who I was! She’s seen and loves Pepe!!! Who knew?

After my arts and crafts (and insulting puppet royalty) I made my way over to the Brown venue to catch opening night of the Screw You Revue (Up the Wazoo!). Glad I did. I got to spend some time in line hobnobbing with Jay and Diana Hopkins, and got to take a moment to give my Fringe Mama Beth Marshall a hug! Wayburn took the stage and proceeded to offend every race, nationality, or disability in the audience, and you know we all loved him for it. Dewey (the man behind the Sassy) amazes me everytime! He’s just so naturally funny, I don’t think the man can ever miss on his jokes. Add his partner Douglas as Didi the 20 foot tall drag queen into the mix and it just keeps getting better. All in all an amazing night at Fringe!

Favorite overheard conversations:
“I hope Brett Michaels recovers, it’d be a shame to lose such a sexy man!” - One very old lady to her very old friend leaving Janine Klein’s show

“Who plays Peg O’keef in that Peg O’Keef show?” in the Shakes lobby
Lesson of the Day:
- The free Bananna Coloda FUSE drink being handed out on lawn makes a delicious cocktail when mixed with Sky Vodka (Vodka source shall not be revealed)

More Fringe:
Everything Fringe: OrlandoFringeGuide.com
Vote in the Audience Choice Awards
Write your own Fringe show reviews