Summer Nights: Orlando Science Center


All I could really remember about the Orlando Science Center was that there were fake plastic oranges to play with and our field trips always meant my mom would pack a Lunchable for me. It was a win-win for everyone. And so, something like 12 or so years later, I wasn’t really sure what to expect.

During the summer, OSC is open for extended hours on Wednesday and Saturday. Until July 31st they offer Sub-Zero; a show that is unabashedly cheesy, nonetheless, great for helping children understand the science of all things cold. In addition to Sub-Zero, there are a few laser shows to choose from that can be viewed in the Cinedome. I experienced the head spinning Classic Rock laser show. Other options include: Cozmic Kidz Lazer Jamz, 80’s Flashback, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.


Because the center doesn’t close until 10pm during extended hours, you can also use the telescopes in the Crosby Observatory. I was able to check out Venus and Saturn as well as a great view of the Orlando evening skyline.


If you’re looking for something new to do this summer, be sure to check out OSC, especially if you’ve got little ones in tow.