Getting to Know Chef Tony Adams



Lucas Widrick
Contributing Writer
Staff Page


In a perfect world I think we would all like to know exactly where our food comes from and in an even better scenario we would know the person transforming those ingredients into what we ultimately see on our plate.

At the Shipyard Brew Pub and Big Wheel Provisions marketplace that will open this October, Chef Tony Adams will be the man presenting us with dishes prepared with local and seasonal ingredients. Recently he was gracious enough to take a few moments out of his crazy schedule to answer some questions to help us all better understand who he is, where he is coming from with his cuisine, and also give us little insight on his upcoming venture with Shipyard Brewing and Ron Raike.

Enjoy . . .

1. Where did you grow up and how did that ultimately influence your career choice? To put it another way, where or who did the inspiration to pursue a career as a chef come from?
I grew up in Central Maine, a small town called Fairfield. It is an area of Maine that is pretty economically depressed and filled with some of the hardest working people in America, and sometimes, to no avail. They have had numerous plants and factories come and go. I think that while growing up in that area specifically didn't drive me towards food, it showed me that hard work simply earns you the ability to become successful, and that once you have some success, you have to continue to grow with the times and continue to work hard in order to maintain that success. My mom was a great cook, and I kind of learned by nipping at her heels a little bit. As soon as I could, I started in making my own eggs and experimenting with the microwave and cooking all kinds of crazy stuff! It wasn't until junior high and high school that I really found that I was good at cooking and it came much easier than automotive work, and I figured out I would rather my hands be cut up and burned from cooking rather than smelling like fuel oil or gasoline like my Dad's! I saw it as a way out of small town life, as an opportunity to travel and have adventures that I wouldn't be able to find in Maine; funny, I find the most rest and adventure in Maine now that I am older!

2. Where did you really hone your culinary skills?
I was lucky enough to work in some of the best restaurants in the world through my training. I really cut my teeth at Empire in Providence (now closed) under the eyes of Tyler Brassil and Loren Falsone (who are now married and both teach at Le Cordon Bleu Orlando!). I also learned an unquantifiable amount at Le Manoir aux Quat Saisons in Oxford England for Chef Raymond Blanc, where I really found a passion for butchery and charcuterie. But really, if you were to push me, it wasn't until I started teaching at Le Cordon Bleu here in Orlando where I really found my rhythm for my personal style. You never really know something until you are required to teach it to someone else, and I really was a better chef for having taught there amongst such great colleagues and resources.

3. What do you consider to be the mission statement for yourself and for Big Wheel Provisions?
Local is lovely! We try to use as few ingredients as possible, bringing new and unique items to the local food scene. That's our charge every week!


4. Of all the places that you could have started your business, why did you choose Orlando as the home base for what you wanted to accomplish?
I was here and had complained for so long about the local food scene. It wasn't until pioneers of the local food scene like Ravenous Pig, Luma, and Dandelion Cafe stepped out and did new stuff and paved the way for someone like me to see that what I wanted to do here could work!

5. How will the brew pub venture with Shipyard Brewing and Ron Raike affect or change what Big Wheel Provisions currently does?
We still are trying to figure that out to some extent (I know that's not the answer they want me to give you, but...)! Every time I walk into the space, it seems like new ideas and new challenges come pouring out! It's all part of that game though! I'm really looking forward to working with Ron to see how I can help him do new things, as well as taste what he comes up with! I am always inspired by other artisans and people who are passionate about their craft, so who knows what's in store!

6. When not directly involved with the goings on of Big Wheel Provisions, what other hobbies or activities do you enjoy?
That's tough! I'm always engrossed in Big Wheel 24 hours a day! Outside of that, I'm really good at slicing golf balls into opposite fairways, love to shoot pictures and video with my new camera, and in general hang out with my close friends.

7. What is your favorite meal or dish to prepare for others?
Gosh, if it came down to it, it would have to be a fresh pasta I think. There's something so soothing about that process of kneading dough, and rolling and then shaping. It takes a long time though, and is something I haven't done in a while. As far as when we are cooking for the market, I love to put a Lake Meadow Natural egg on anything, those things are like gold to be able to work with!

8. What is the one beer style that you would be happy drinking for the rest of time? Choose a specific beer if you would like to.
I love darker beers, but shy of porter or stout levels. When it's hot, you can find me drinking Hefeweizens and other wheat beers, and darker beers the rest of the year, like nut brown or darker amber beers. I have been into Belgian style stuff lately, and have really enjoyed exploring what that genre has to offer. And of course, Shipyard's stuff is so killer, I have been drinking a lot of their Summer recently.

9. What is the one cooking ingredient that you would never want to give up? Or perhaps what seasonal offerings do you most look forward to arriving each year?
Bacon is the single ingredient I would never give up, hands down. Autumn brings mushrooms which are always welcome in my kitchen! Growing up in New England, Spring is always so anticipated that it's hard not to really appreciate English Peas and Fiddleheads too. We are excited that the native Seminole Pumpkin, which is actually an endangered species being revived by UCF at their Student Arboretum, is coming back into season here quickly, so we can make our Seminole Pumpkin Butter, a favorite of our friends and customers.

10. Taking a question from watching and reading too much Anthony Bourdain, what would your death row meal be (including drink) and who would prepare it for you?
Gosh, Thomas Keller could make me a meal of an old pizza box and some shoelaces he found in the middle of the street and I am pretty sure I would die a happy man.