Orlando Fashion Square Mall is Working on its Fitness So Delicious

By Mark Baratelli
Owner
Staff Page


I know many readers of this blog won't step foot inside a mall, but Orlando Fashion Square Mall has been quietly adding new tenants and a couple caught my eye.
Disney Entrepreneur Center (moving April 2011)
This used to be located downtown. I went there once and got a full hour of face time with a retired small business owner. He gave me TONS of great advice. He didn't know what a blog even was, but he sure knew how to start a small business. With this move, it means free parking, too!

Planet Fitness
I joined a location of this gym franchise when I lived in the Bronx last Fall. It was an affordable, decent place to work out. I very much appreciated their M.O.: all-inclusiveness and "no judgment." Its not the gym for muscle freak guys downing protein powder while bench pressing 500 pounds or anorexic tank-topped Moms pushing 4-hour sessions on the treadmill.

Shake-Out (milkshake shop)
I am a food trend junkie, so I am dying to try this place. Are milkshakes the new cake pop, froyo or cupcake? We shall soon find out together, Orlando.
From Wikipedia: "Part of the increase in milkshake sales reported in 2006 may be due to the increasing availability of innovative chef-designed milkshakes in high-end restaurants. In 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that chefs from "hipster hangouts and retro landmarks" are using "macerated farmers market strawberries, Valrhona chocolate and Madagascar Bourbon vanilla" to make new milkshake flavors.

Christopher Muller, the director of the Center for Multi-Unit Restaurant Management at Orlando's University of Central Florida states that "milkshakes remind us of summer, youth — and indulgence", and "they're evocative of a time gone by".[5] Muller states that milkshakes are an "enormously profitable" item for restaurants, since the fluffy drinks contain so much air."
Dimple Delights (gourmet cupcakes)
I am really into the teensy cupcakes now. The large ones are a bit much for one sitting unless I am feeling depressed. Wonder which sizes they will offer?