Gluten Free Options Now Available at Bonefish Grill

By Mark Baratelli
Owner
Staff Page


The folks at Bonefish Grill invited me and a few others to a media tasting, which took place at their Sand Lake Road location, to sample their new Gluten-free menu. I had to come straight from work, so I was a satchel of hot sweaty mess when I arrived.

When I walked in, the first thing I did was ask Niki, the PR person from NYC, if they had a food truck. Well what can I say? Its on my mind right now. She laughed and said that they were tossing around the idea of a "Bang Bang Food Truck." The "bang bang" refers to a shrimp dish called "Bang Bang Shrimp." Apparently its popular and only five bucks on Wednesdays. Deal!

I seriously think Bonefish, and any other chain restaurant, should look into doing a food truck. And so does QSR. For places like these, it'd be more of a PR move than anything. It would cost less than a TV ad and they could "truck" it all over the US for promotional purposes. And if they had one right now, they could be in an upcoming TheDailyCity.com Orlando Food Truck Bazaar! Bang bang!

But back to gluten, or the lack of it. The gluten-free multi-course tasting was held in a private room in the back corner of the restaurant with one unexplainable wall hanging in the center of the room featuring six pressed fish in a bizarrely-shaped frame. I couldn't stop staring at it. See it with your own eyeballs in the first photo in this post.

The dishes they served included edamame, Saucy Shrimp, Mussels Josephine (the dishes are named after the owner's children), Red Bridge Gluten-Free Sorghum beer, house salad, grilled fish (mahi mahi, atlantic salmon, sea bass), Skinny Rita-Tini, Lily's chicken, sirloin steak, creme brulee, flourless chocolate macadamia nut brownie, and an espresso martini.

All of it was quite overwhelming and delicious. Below are highlights. If you're not a fan of the gluten but still want a real meal, I'd recommend Bonefish.

Before the tasting began, we were treated to a talk on gluten.

Bonefish Grill calls their waiters "anglers," which I think is a term for fishermen. I think those in the photograph are chefs, not waiters. I don't know. I was eating. 

I shared a bowl of "Mussels Josephine" with the gentleman sitting next to me. I think I got four. He loved them. I liked my four.

The Saucy Shrimp is perfectly named: its shrimp in sauce. 

Sirloin steak, mashed potatoes, two types of boozy drinks and one beer, all gluten-free.

Espresso Martini. I slurped down two... only because they were gluten free of course. 

Though the flourless brownie dribbled with vanilla ice cream was chocolatey and delicious.