Welcome to the Neighborhood: Floyd's Barbershop, Winter Park

By Samir Mathur
Contributing writer
Staff page | Twitter | Tumblr

Floyd's Barbershop recently opened a new location at 610 W. Fairbanks Ave, Winter Park. Their other site is at 3150 S. Orange Ave, Orlando. Check them out on Facebook or their official site.

As a very lazy person, I don't put much thought into getting my hair cut, and tend to go for places that are exceedingly cheap. So when a new branch of Floyd's Barbershop recently opened up right down the street from me, I wasn't too fussed, until I saw that they were giving out half-price cuts for the first couple of weeks of business. Where do I sign?

The new location is in a former mechanics' garage and paint place, and so it has awesome big garage-door style windows, which they open up to let the fresh air inside. The walls are incredibly busy with pictures of iconic rock stars and musicians. And Fall Out Boy. The store plays a loud mix of music, which ranged from The Cars to Lupe Fiasco to the Killers. Certainly a more eclectic and interesting soundtrack than the bland top-40 stuff you hear at most places. I was very happy with my cut, and plan on going back in the future. The place caters to men and women and has an atmosphere I just love. There are plenty of places within walking distance of Floyd's Winter Park where you can get your hair done, but most of them are expensive and I would feel too self-conscious to go into them. It's nice to have a place so nearby that is more fun, more affordable, and every bit as good.

Floyd's threw a great grand opening bash on Saturday, which featured a live DJ, breakdancers, food from the Boathouse, and a raffle to benefit VH1's Save the Music charity.

FBTwitterRSS