Oblivion Taproom

By Mark Baratelli 
Owner


Oblivion Taproom
5101 E Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32803
407-802-4800
website | facebook | twitter

The parking lot of Oblivion Taproom was packed Friday November 18, 2011. That was my first sign the night was going to go unexpectedly. Didn't this place just open? Why was it slammed? How did word get out so fast? When I walked in, the place looked like it had been there forever, filled with diners and drinkers all talking at a deafening level. The place has nary a soft spot to collect the over-sharing, so the sound just bounces from concrete floor to flat wall to tiny dying eardrum. Decor-wise, it felt like RedlightRedlight: dark walls, dark lighting, low ceilings and an emphasis on beer. And RedlightRedlight is just around the corner, but the two spots attract (for now) two different types of crowds.

The food my table-mates and I chose to ate was as if calories didn't matter and obesity was something from another time: onion rings, giant burgers, quesadillas and tater tots. Nothing wrong with it, and it all tasted ok except for something I'll mention in paragraph four.

The prices seemed steep for what we were getting. My quesadilla was $9, the burger I think was $11. Seems like those could go down a couple bucks. Or I could be a cheap-ass.  I'll save you the guessing game: the latter is true.

My quesadilla had shredded chicken inside and a bleu cheese dipping sauce which looked like potato soup and tasted like yummy salt. My friend's burger had beef and pork in it. That was the most interesting thing he could find to say about it. Another friend raved about her onion rings. One dish that did not get eaten, but passed around and mocked was a mac & cheese concoction in a black bowl that looked like leftover Hamburger Helper. Perhaps it was a bad batch or perhaps it's just bad, I don't know because I didn't try it. I eat my Hamburger Helper at home alone in shame, just like I write these restaurant non-expert uneducated non-foodie reviews.

I will say again- the place was freaking packed. PACKED. And that means the place is doing something right. While nothing there will bring me back for seconds (I don't like beer or burgers or screaming to be heard while I eat) I think if you like beer, decent food and a fun casual atmosphere, you'll like Oblivion. Congrats to the owners!




7-3-11-facebook 7-3-11-twitter 7-3-11-RSS