The Republic To The Rescue!

By Brendan O'Connor


My name is Brendan O'Connor and in the words of Harvey Milk, "I am here to recruit you".

You may know me from my occasional posts on this site, or the pieces that Mark has done on me about my SIT Project where I put chairs at bus stops that have no seating, or maybe from even weirder projects like the pony derby at Urban ReThink where I am their Artist in Residence. I'm writing you today to ask for your help.

I am entered in a contest with GOOD Magazine to win funds that would be used to make 100 hammocks for homeless people in San Francisco. I operate a small business out of my home studio called Banana Hammock Republic, where I make urban "tactical hammocks" that can be carried easily, and slung up anywhere (Check out our facebook). For a long time it was just a fun side project that provided gas and grocery money and provided another creative outlet for my crafting OCD. Recently while teaching an art class in Bithlo through a non-profit called ArtReach Orlando, I met a young man who was sleeping in a jungle gym because he had nowhere else to go. All I could do was give him one of my hammocks and send him some positive energy.  But it got my dusty little brain-cogs turning...  and I remembered something from a college Psych class. According to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs there are 5 levels of human needs that need to be addressed for a fulfilled life. The most basic needs are at the bottom of the pyramid; Physiological, Safety, Love/Belonging, Esteem, and Self-Actualization. So according to Mr. Maslow, the biggest gift you can give someone is sleep.

I am asking you wonderful readers, to help me and 100 homeless people by clicking on this link:


If I win, I can use the data collected from the field when we gift the hammocks, to develop a business model where I can continue to do something I love and help people that need it most.

7-3-11-facebook 7-3-11-twitter 7-3-11-RSS