Yum Yum Truck Holiday Shoppe | Interview with Sweet Six Owner Jennifer DeWitt


We announced last week that the genius of sweet in the Yum Yum Cupcake Truck are bringing in even more sweets this holiday season with their Yum Yum Holiday Shoppe.  The shoppe, found on their truck and exclusively at Food Truck Bazaars, features three local artisan sweet makers.  We touched on each of the three last week.  We were able to have a short interview with Jennifer DeWitt the Confectioner over Sweet Six Candy Company (Facebook | Website), the retro sugar based candies with the super cute label. 

TDC: How did you get started and why did you choose this product to make?

JD: Sweet Six original recipe was actually invented in 1956. At the age of thirteen, my mother set out to make herself a sweet treat. She put six ingredients in a pan and what resulted was a brown sugar candy that has become our go-to family treat. 

I was born in Orlando and grew up in Altamonte Springs. After many years away from Florida, I returned last summer to be able to spend more time with family. I’ve always been on the periphery food production, from working as head baker at a bagel shop, to handling marketing for a local coffee roaster; teaching myself how to preserve and can, and most recently learning how to make cheese. Perhaps it was turning 40, or my desire to create something tangible, but something made me think I could share my family’s candy.  

After researching the Cottage Industry Food Law that was passed last spring, I knew it was a good time to take the candy public. Mom and I developed a proper recipe and worked on five additional flavors; turning the original six ingredients into a product line of six flavors, each with its own specific number.

TDC: How is your product unique from a similar product we can find in Walgreens or Target?

JD: There is no other product like Sweet Six on the market. I take pride in the fact that it’s natural, mostly organic, and nothing like what you’ll find in a big box store. Being handmade makes it unique, and the fact that each piece is its own size and shape only adds to its individuality. The label and packaging are nostalgic of the era when the candy was invented and I take great care in making sure each is wrapped with a personal touch.

Some people have said it's slightly similar to maple candy or a praline, but I disagree. It has a rich flavor and consistency all its own, somewhere between caramel and brittle. It's not a pretty candy, but it is a sweet that people can't seem to resist once they've tried it. 

TDC: How would you integrate your product into a holiday meal or family gathering?

JD: I suggest eating No. 1, Original, straight out of the container. No. 2, Espresso is best paired with coffee drinks. Another way to use the candy is to break it into smaller pieces. It's perfect as a topping for pie, cupcakes, cobbler, or ice-cream. You can also use pieces of No. 3, Cinnamon, as crumbled addition to sweet potatoes or squash casserole. 

In December, my grandmother turns 102 and at her suggestion, we're having a pie contest. You can bet I'll be using Sweet Six as a added topping to my pie submission. Also, if you're just looking for a satisfying sweet without going overboard on all the holiday goodies, just one or two pieces of this candy will curb your cravings.   

TDC: What's the most essential item in your kitchen?

JD: The most essential items in my kitchen are my aluminum half-sheet pans. They are where the candy hardens, where I toast coconut, cook bacon, and mix up spices. Without them, I'd be lost. I’d also have to say another essential is a heavy plastic spoon with an extra-long handle that I use to cook the candy. It’s what Mom calls the “candy-making spoon.” I’m sure the candy would turn out fine without it, but it feels lucky to me.

I know you asked for one essential but I also have to just mention one other; an apron. Hot sugar is not something you ever want to get on your skin. I used to wake up at 4:00am to boil and bake bagels at 500 degrees and somehow boiling brown sugar seems more dangerous to me. Maybe because the spoon looks so lickable. Sugar this hot can seriously burn, so I always wear an apron when making candy.

TDC: Where do you see your company going in the future?

JD: I love making candy but I could be more efficient with shared space in a commercial kitchen, so that's the first step for Sweet Six. Honestly, my hope is that the company scales to a comfortable size of three confectioners within the next year. I see the merit of partnerships and hope to capitalize on that in the future, working with designers on limited edition packaging and flavors.

In terms of product growth, Sweet Six will soon be adding a private label candy category for wedding favors, baby showers, corporate events and such. I like the idea of personalizing a candy flavor for a bride and groom and creating a sweet parting moment for their guests. 
--------------

Check back later in the week for our exclusive interview with Tara the genius baker behind P is for Pie.

You can check out all three sweets and gifts of the Yum Yum Holiday Shoppe at the following Food Truck Bazaars

  • Nov 30 4-10pm HOLIDAY LIGHTS ORLANDO Lake Eola Park 
  • Dec 1 6-9pm SANFORD Downtown, Palmetto Ave & Seminole Blvd 
  • Dec 2 6-9pm ORANGE CITY KMart Plaza, 810 Saxon Blvd 
  • Dec 7 6-9pm KISSIMMEE Kissimmee Civic Center, 201 E. Dakin Ave 
  • Dec 9 6-9pm ORLANDO Behind Fashion Square Mall, Colonial Blvd 
  • Dec 13 5-8pm DEBARY Gateway Center for the Arts, 
  • Dec 14 6-9pm CASSELBERRY 95 Triplet Lake Dr 
  • Dec 16 5-8pm DELAND Earl Brown Park, 751 S. Alabama Ave.


TheDailyCity.com on Facebook TheDailyCity.com on Pinterest TheDailyCity.com on twitter TheDailyCity.com on Instagram