There are a lot of good times I'll miss if I shut down and think about all the things that make me unhappy

By Sage Klein
A 14 Year Old

14 year old Sage Klein's review of his first week of middle school school was received well by readers, so he's back to tell us about his life, a concert at Back Booth and the play "The Boy Who Stole the Sun."

As a little kid I would stare out my window, in my car seat, and see older "kids" walk into concerts downtown or teenagers go into movies, and I had such a longing to be able to have a girlfriend, or go to a concert!! But now I have those privileges, and I want to stop in my tracks through my path of life, and look around, and open my eyes. The same eyes that are so closed to change and opportunity, closed to seeing the world as it is or will be. 

I'm so consumed in my daily life, that I don't stop and just realize that I have all of those things that I wished I had when I was 6 or 7. And these privileges are fun, but I would do anything to be a lil tot again. 
I am so focused on the negatives in my life that it blinds me from the beauty of the positives. Lonely at school, or the friends that filter in and out of my life, or the things I want that I don't get or a bad hair day. So focusing on the good...

This week I got to go to two events. 


Monday I attended a concert at the Back Booth. The music wasn't my personal preference, but it wasn't horrible. It was hard rock/alternative. It was very rowdy, the small area became an ant farm. People were scavenging money and drinks and shirts and CDs and people were smoking cigarettes everywhere.


Back Booth had a pulse, a constant push, as people jumped from the balcony and stage dived. It was all over the place in this tiny space. 4 bands played total I only payed my attention to the 3rd and the 4th. 'Balance and Composure' was the third, they did very well, and ' Title Fight' was the closing band. It was pretty decent but Maya and I decided not to stick around till the end, imagining the amount of people parading and stampeding to get out to the downtown streets of Orlando. All in all a good time.


This Friday I attended the play 'The Boy Who Stole the Sun," which won won best show in the black venue at the Orlando Fringe 2013. It was written by the very, talented Cristian Kelty. To me he is a brother, an idol and above of all, a friend. 

Within this show there is a code that you decipher inside yourself, it is an amazing relatable work of art. You breathe in the show you take it in, latch on to, grasp it and bind it with the memory. It will bring you to your childhood, and it will bring you to a tear or two. It is a piece of art that I will never forget. 

The play is about a boy who steals the sun, and learns about making a huge mistake, and really grasps the standpoint (in my opinion) that once you open a gate into the world of mistakes and should-haves there's no going back. 

The day you let go of your mommy and daddy's hand, you can't grab on again' that is the day you step closer to yourself. You probably remember this day, and at fourteen years of age, I remember this day. This show will take you back in time and keep you frozen, in the present. It is a show that will make you stare in amazement and wonderment. 

Please, please, please go and enjoy this play, you will not have a single regret, it is a soul grasping, memory attaching, smile stretching, tear jerking play. Something in your heart will change. You'll be touched, by the past, and the present.

I had a good weekend , and writing all of this helped me sit back (now in the front seat of the car, my seating has been upgraded since 6 years of age) and open my eyes to my life, because it's just too priceless to miss or forget. 

So I put a smile on my face, because of the good and the bad. Because of the sound of the guitar, bass and drums still ringing in my ear and the words put to paper. The city never sleeps, and the world will never come to a halt. But me, one day I'll grow old and die, but in the time between, there are a lot of good times I'll miss if I shut down and think about all the things that make me unhappy. 

You are in control of where you go and I want to send myself to the moon. And I will. I'm determined.

The Boy Who Stole the Sun is playing at The Venue, 511 Virginia drive, it is $17 a ticket in advance, and $20 at the door, $10 for students and seniors. 

Show times:
September 27 at 8:00pm
September 28 at 1:30 and 8:00pm
September 29 at 1:30 pm
September 30 at 8:00pm