The Only Place to Get a Free 44oz Water Every Single Day

By Mark Baratelli
Coke Zero Lover

Takeaway: nowhere in Central Florida but Wawa can you get a 44oz giant cup of water with lid and straw for free every day.

I had a bad habit that up until recently was plaguing me: stopping into Wawa multiple times a day for a Coke Zero. Once I became aware of the issue, I watched myself doing it each time, trying to figure out why this had become a habit. 

What I learned was this: it was not about Wawa or the Coke Zero: it was about me avoiding whatever activity it was I was supposed to be doing, like driving to a stressful meeting or a boring event. I was pushing "pause" on my life and relishing in a few fake minutes of calmness before getting back into my car, knowing I had to deal with whatever stressful situation I was driving to. 

Also, I noticed that I enjoyed the ritual of Wawa: pulling into the large well-lit parking lot, always noting the changing music being played inside and outside, the high ceilings, the healthy (and not healthy!) snack options, the food ordering kiosks. it all dazzled me.

But the soda area had me hooked. I loved the ritual of getting my cup, choosing the shape of my ice, making my soda, and snatching a lid from the dispenser. One thing always got me wondering: why are all the cups plastic except the medium sized cups (they're styrofoam), and why did the built-in lid dispenser not carry medium lids? The museum lids are segregated to a vertical 3-sided tower sitting atop the horizontal lid dispenser. 

Well, while I was discovering the mysterious of myself and my avoidance issues, I also discovered three things about that Coke machine and Wawa:
  • It dispenses water
  • Wawa doesn't charge for water
  • Wawa doesn't care what size you buy
I tried it once and am now hooked. I get all the pleasure of avoiding my reality, with none of the caffeine and fake sugar. Plus, I am tossing back way more water than I ever was before, so I know my body is like "Thank you Jesus!" And, it's FREE!