1 Year Anniversary of Central Florida's Original Pocket Newspaper

Central Florida's original pocket newspaper, The Daily City, turns one in September 2015. 

By Mark Baratelli
Publisher

I love blogging. I've done it since 2007. If I didn't love it, why would I spend so many years on it? But more than the medium of blogging, I love to share information. Blogging is one way I share. I also share on Instagram and in an e-newsletter.

But the medium I like most is print. I love paper. I love magazines and newspapers. I love that each month (or week or day!) print media makers create a complete package of information. They put it to bed and watch how their readers react.

I also like designing for print. How do people turn the page? What side of the paper do they look at first? Do most people flip it open horizontally or vertically first? Do they read the back?

I like finding new stories just for the print edition. I wish I had the time to do more of that.

I am grateful to Denna Beena who assemble Central Florida's best Halloween Event Guide. Can't wait to work on the 2015 edition!

In September 2015, the print edition of The Daily City turns one.

I design the simple one-page two-fold paper in-house once a month and use a local printer (except when I'm late!) to print and fold it. I call it a "pocket newspaper." Since no one has used that term in Central Florida, I get to say it's the original!

The only people who have access to it are the folks who attend my 10 food truck events.

1,000 copies are printed every month.

The food truck event guests like the paper. They take them and read them at my events. I know because I watch them. Some put them in their purse or their pocket or (sad face) in the trash cans. But they at least scan it. They evaluate whether it's worth keeping or not. And when I see them keep it, when I see them find value in what I've made, when they slip it in their pocket or purse, when they read it while eating a food truck meal, when they go back to grab a second copy for their mother, I am FREAKING ELATED.

I think you should celebrate your milestones. This is one of them for me.

Thank you for reading it.