Two Newly Constructed, Temporary Bridges Go Into Use on I4


Two newly-constructed temporary bridges will go into use April 21st for westbound traffic and early May for eastbound traffic. In total, six lanes of I-4 traffic will move onto these newly constructed, temporary bridges. 

They bridges are located in between eastbound and westbound I4 on the portion going through downtown (from Colonial to South St). 

The new temporary bridges were constructed because of the lack of right-of-way space in the tight quarters of downtown Orlando. By moving I-4 traffic onto the temporary bridges, it gives I-4 Ultimate construction crews the opportunity to begin demolishing the existing eastbound I-4 bridges and constructing new bridges.

View illustration of the westbound I-4 traffic shift.

During the traffic shift operation on the night of April 20 and morning of April 21, motorists should expect multiple lane and ramp closures. The westbound I-4 entrance ramps from Ivanhoe Boulevard and Amelia Street will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. View detour routes. In addition, the collector-distributor road adjacent to westbound I-4 between Ivanhoe Boulevard and Colonial Drive will be closed as will multiple lanes on westbound I-4. Lane closures may begin as soon as 8 p.m. on April 20.

A traffic shift of eastbound I-4 between South Street and Colonial Drive is scheduled to occur overnight in early May. 

During the traffic shift operation, motorists should expect multiple lane and ramp closures. The eastbound I-4 entrance ramps from westbound State Road 408 and Anderson Street, and the exit ramp to Amelia Street will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Due to the complexity of the traffic shift operation, motorists should be aware of changing lane closures throughout the evening. Lane closures may begin as soon as 8 p.m. 

Modifications or extensions to this schedule may become necessary due to weather delays or other unforeseen conditions. Motorists are advised to maintain a safe speed when driving through the work zone.