Orlando Fringe Preview: Shadows in Bloom



Shadows in Bloom is showing at the 2008 Orlando Fringe Festival. The writer and performer, Gemma Wilcox, answered a few questions via an online survey.

Describe your show

This play is the sequel to last year's show and Orlando Sell Out Hit: "The Honeymoon Period is Officially Over." It is not essential to have seen "The Honeymoon Period is Officially Over" to fully understand and enjoy this show. (It's got) 23 new Characters performed by 1 actress.

In Shadows in Bloom, Saturn's return hits Sandra squarely between the eyes and what's lurking beneath shudders to the surface. Gemma Wilcox takes the audience on an adventure through the life of Sandra and her complex relationships. Out of the shadows and onto the stage Wilcox transforms seamlessly from male to female, from kid to crustacean, from flora to fauna in the most compelling tale yet. New exciting characters, audience interaction and the point of no return for a young woman on the edge of her independence.

Why are you doing this show?
Because I LOVE delving into, and bringing to light on stage, the emotional under-currents and "shadow world" that is part of this play. I love playing multi-characters including animals and inanimate objects. This year there are 23 new characters!

Has it been seen anywhere else?
In it's first incarnation at Boulder Fringe 2007 - I am rewriting/reworking it for this year's tour. I'm giving it a make-over, so it will be fresh and new for Orlando Fringe!

What do you hope to get out of being in Fringe?
I hope it is a great as last year's experience, which was wonderful. I hope to kick off my 2008 fringe tour in Orlando by having fun old friends and making new ones, having a hugely successful and fulfilling run, and seeing lots of other great shows. It'll also be my birthday whilst at Orlando Fringe. So I hope to celebrate my 30th birthday in fringe style.