Prop H8: the jacket

My friend Tony in San Francisco made an art project I thought was worth a mention. I think you'll enjoy it.

"So this week, I went downtown for a little protesting, and ended up across the street from the State Capitol which occupies several city blocks in a park-like setting. I had almost finished my hour and decided to cross the park to the other side to see what the traffic was like there and judge if it would be a good location for my next vigil. I was listening to something ridiculously gay on the ipod, perhaps it was Bette Midler, or maybe it was just the original Broadway cast of Oklahoma, but either way, I did not see or hear the security guard approach me.

Apparently, all protests require permits. Even one person. He said I could not carry my sign on the grounds, or into the permit office. So, as the offence is apparently carrying a sign, I decided to eliminate the sign by putting its contents onto my clothing.


I figure they won't stop someone wearing clothes spouting some Christianist nonsense about Prayer Working or Who Would Jesus Bomb or God is Love, so they have no grounds to object to my clothes. Besides, gods may or may not exist, but the Mormon Agenda is very much real and alive, and (at the insistence of their prophet-god) coiling to strike again as we speak.


All the cool kids are wearing these this season. In fact, the same day I made it, a friend asked me to make him one. So we went down to the store where I got my shop jacket ($19.00) and back to JoAnn's for the iron-on letters ($4.00) and made up jacket number two. Oh, and you can't tell from the pictures, but the lettering fuzzy. Fuzzy!!!

My ultimate goal is to create dialog wherever I go. I will be wearing my jacket on Amtrak this weekend, as I descend into the central valley of California, which has been heavily populated by the Mormon cultists, and from which hundreds of thousands of dollars came to constitutionalize discrimination."