Keke's Cracker Barrel-Inspired Waiting Porch is Where All Moms Should Change a Diaper

By Mark Baratelli
Owner 
Staff Page


I love diners. Eggs, bacon, coffee... yes please. (Our Diner GuideLast Saturday I met a friend at Keke's in Winter Park. She'd been there before and I was the newbie. Overall impression: Keke's is like an IHOP concept store. It's like, if IHOP made one, just one, "fancy" version of itself, it'd look and act like Kiki's.

While you wait to be seated, you have two seating choices: on flat black benches lining the entrance or in what appears to be Cracker Barrel front porch-inspired gathering of wooden unpainted chairs beneath an awning. Grosser than that was the mother who changed her child's diaper RIGHT THERE in front of me on said porch. Kiki's had nothing to do with her of course, but she does bear mentioning. And shaming.

Our meals were fine. Nothing brilliant. It was like a hotel restaurant meal, which tastes like a fancy IHOP. I had a fake-egg three-meat omelette and hoo-boy was there meat in that there thing. (See below) What goes best with meat and fake eggs congealed into a yellowish bumpy tube? Bacon!

My friend had a standard omelette over breakfast potatoes, both meals attended by the orange slice and parsly grab.

The one thing I really liked was the design of the coffee mug: squarish on the outside, round on the inside. I also liked how tall the water glasses were. Call me visual or let me call Kikis out for having almost nothing of interest to look at in the entire restaurant. The whole place is like a bland, clean, classy Kleenex box.

Would I go back to Keke's? Yes. Overall it of course wasn't bad, the service was good, the food was good and I like those darn coffee mugs.

7-3-11-facebook 7-3-11-twitter 7-3-11-RSS