Licks Pops Popsicles

Licks Pops (Facebook, Twitter, Website) is a locally owned company that sells its pops out of a cart. Owner Johnathan Winkler answered a few questions about the company via email.



Why did you start a popsicle cart?
I started this coming from a ball of frustration. I reached this point when I realized
that almost everyone of my friends had a huge issue with eating a lot of the fruits, that I
found to be absolutely delicious! And of course it was all or mostly because of taste,
some claimed texture issues. This was shocking, I was alarmed that when I would ask
others to describe the taste issues, I would get responses like “ I don't like mango
because it is bitter” or my favorite: “strawberries are sour, ew!” This was unbelievable!
from further investigation I found that the leading cause was rooted in the quality of
produce available at most markets, coupled with lack of knowledge on how to choose
ripe products. So in 2011 I set out to show people that when grown under good
conditions and harvested at the right time all fruits are undeniable to eat. What lands on
mass market produce isles should be unlawful. Of course a mango harvested 4 weeks
early and then gassed to force ripening is going to taste bitter! Me and friends alike have
set a culinary mission to communicate that good stewardship and love are a absolute
must when it comes to the food we eat.


How do you make the popsicles?
The pops and their recipes are created completely based on what we can get
that is harvest in florida at its peak season. If it is not grown in florida we try not to buy it.
All though we have been considering getting some georgia peaches. The conceptual
process started about 2 years ago when I moved back to orlando to expand my culinary
horizons. In november of 2011, we started the business process. First developing the
brand platform, then diving into federal, state, and local requirements. The hoops that
we have had to jump through to just sell some good ice pops has been an adventure
and educational. The toughest part has been finding the quality of fruit we want, but that
is also the funniest part of what we do. Developing relationships with farmers from
orlando to miami has been a real joy. Farmers are great people!






How are your popsicles different?
Our pops are different because the people making them put love into each and
every one. The question I get the most is “ What did you put in here?” and I always
respond “ Just a lot of love.” Seriously, we stay focused on our goal and do not let price
points or profit margins push us off course with providing an ice pop made from the best
fruits in florida. If our pops are not something we would take home to our own mothers,
then we do not package it for our patrons. And it helps that I have been cooking since a
young boy and have worked professionally in the hospitality business for 11 years.


Where can folks pick up your product?
Currently you can find us at varies farmers markets around central florida.
Wholesale coming soon. Check our website for updated location. www.Licks-
pops.com! !


What advice would you give to folks wanting to do this themselves?
You need the patients of a grandmother, the perseverance of a president, the
strength of a warrior, and a rich uncle. I would say start your development as soon as
possible, because things always take longer than expected and have fun with it!




7-3-11-facebook 7-3-11-twitter 7-3-11-RSS