Rent DVDs at Your Local Library | Redbox Is for Suckers


Orlando Lens
By Nicholas Ware
Twitter


Believe me, Orlando, I get it. Sometimes it doesn't matter what awesome new flick is playing in what high-tech new theater. Sometimes you just want to sit at the couch with a hand scratching your nethers and veg out to a DVD on your time, whether that time is early afternoon or the deepest reaches of the night. You want to do this, City Beautiful, and you want to do this cheap. We've all been there. So you head to the Redbox, that bastion of slightly-more-than-a-buck entertainment, in front of your local gas station, grocery store, or pharmacy. Well, Central Florida, what if I told you that you're a total chump and you're spending dozens, yes, DOZENS of dollars that you could keep in your pocket while watching the same movies? Would you call me crazy, O-town? Guess what, buddo! We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy. And I have a crazy deal for you. Nearly every major DVD you want is available at your local library. Yes, the library! It's not just for books anymore (because nobody reads books anymore)! 


Most of the local county (and one city) branches of the library offer DVD rentals, from informational discs to the latest blockbuster. Some, like my beloved Winter Park Public Library, even feature a pretty sweet online reserve system, and they send me e-mails so I know when I can pick up my free entertainment. Granted, I'm less likely to get a brand-new release from the library than from Redbox, but I think the price more than makes up for it. I can spend that $1.20 on something more important, like a Cool Ranch Doritos Loco Taco, because I hate myself. Note: Sadly, Seminole County doesn't seem to offer DVDs at their branches. However, click to find out a bit more about the Winter Park Public Library, the Orange County Library System, and the Osceola Library System. The best way to find out all of the library's services is to visit the local branch. If your branch doesn't have the title you're looking for, you can often request it. Remember, you must be a resident of the respective city or county with a valid library card to use these services, but if you're not, you really should be, so let the pursuit of free entertainment be your reason!

Why give this soulless robot your money
when you can support your community
by patronizing your local library?

TheDailyCity.com on Facebook TheDailyCity.com on Pinterest TheDailyCity.com on twitter TheDailyCity.com on Instagram