Artist to Artist: Johannah O'Donnell


Artist to Artist Interview
Johannah O'Donnell
by Paintergirl
June 9, 2008
Welcome to the first artist to artist interview here on the Orlando Arts Blog. Thanks for reading the first of what I hope to be of several Q&A interviews with local artists. I'm interested in hearing readers' feedback of the interviews, your questions and suggestions are also welcome. -Paintergirl
Johannah O'Donnell graduated from Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, and has participated in shows all over the country. Currently Johannah has a solo exhibit at The Peacock Room on N. Mills running till June 14th.

I know you're a native Floridian, how do you think being a native has played a part in your work, if at all.
Well, I've lived my whole life in Florida, but I travel quite a bit for work, so I've seen a lot of the country. Florida is a very unique state, sunny all year long, with amazing tropical foliage and water on three sides. On top of all the natural beauty, we have a slew of theme parks, road-side attractions, and some amazing architecture (esp the tropical deco in Miami and the mid-century modern Sarasota School). All these things are so much a part of my life that I can't imagine they don't influence my work.

Your art is very inspired by music. How do you go about picking your images?
Well, sometimes I have an idea in my head and then search out reference for that idea. Other times, I just come across a picture and say, "hey, that would work really well in a painting," so then I build the piece around it.

I'm definitely inspired by music. I got into punk rock as a teenager, and so much of the identity of that culture is tied to the music. Twenty years later, I'm just really used to it being a key component in my life and my style. I'm also very much into heavy metal and prog rock. A lot of my art is inspired by bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, and Coheed and Cambria. Every song is an epic tale, over the top fantasy stuff. Cool? No. Rad? Yes.

After you have an idea of what you're going to paint, what is your process? Do you do lots of sketching first, then paint? Do you draw it all out on your canvas board? How do you like the board compared to canvas?
I'm not really into happy (or unhappy) accidents, so I like to work out all the kinks before I start painting. In the last few paintings I've done, I've mocked them up in Photoshop first. The composition, the colors, everything is so much quicker and easier (and more fun) to tweak on the mac then on the panel. Once I'm happy with the image, I print it out on transparency sheet, project it, draw it out, and color it in. I know a few purists who don't agree with my methodology, but it works for me.


I don't care for canvas at all. The texture makes it difficult to get really fine detail, and canvases just seem so flimsy and unsubstantial compared to a nice wood panel. At Ringling, we all worked on wood, and it's a great substrate.

I love your color palette you use, what is the inspiration behind that?
Oh I love color. I'm a colorist all the way. I paint women primarily, but the real subject matter is the interplay between colors. Nothing makes me happier!

Lastly, do you have a guilty pleasure that you feel plays a part in your work?
The heavy metal/prog rock...and America's Next Top Model reruns.

About the interviewer
Paintergirl, Orlando born, trained at UF with a BFA in painting. She has lived and had shows in New York, Vermont and Atlanta and now she is back in her hometown.